Thursday, February 23, 2012

Miércoles de ceniza

Had a good night's sleep last night for the first time. Slept right through-ish so I think I might finally be on Guatemalan time. There is some noise now and then as people come and go in the middle of the night from/to work but it doesn't last long.

While lying in bed last night I though I might buy a cheap guitar because not only do I miss my daily twang but Frederico (man of the house) said he was keen to learn. I mentioned this to Jorge (my Spanish teacher) so we went wandering around the music shops checking them out. They were nearly all crap but if I can find one for not more than $80 ish dollars I will buy it and leave it with Frederico as a parting gift along with a few basic chord lessons.

So... the walk around town was great. Jorge and I conversed all the time and he made me do the talking in the shops only helping out when things needed more detail with words I don't know. I think I am starting to get attuned to the accent more and more because I don't seem to be thinking 'qué' all the time. Even if I don't understand what the words mean I understand the word that was said. As Blanca (lady of the house) says - 'poco a poco'.

Today is Ash Wednesday (miércoles de ceniza) and people everywhere are sporting a cross their forehead drawn using ash.

(later in the day)

It is about 9:30 pm and I am in my room. Went on walking tour of the city centre today. There were only four of us doing it - two gringos and two guides. We saw the library, town hall, central park, municipal theatre, central church and got a running commentary while walking through the streets. It was great having basically one-on-one guides. The whole thing was in spanish (por supuesto) and I had no trouble understanding pretty well everything. I am sure they were speaking slowly using simple words but it was great. I took a few photos but not many.






I ended up buying a guitar for about $50. The best part is that I did it myself after the tour. AND, it was the same guitar I saw at a different shop earlier in the day where the salesman wrote the price on a piece of paper and gave me his card. The guitar I bought was initially dearer so I showed him the card and price and said I would go back there if he couldn't match it - so he did. So I not only bought a guitar in Spanish but I played him off against the opposition in Spanish too. Woohoo.

If Gail Cameron is reading this blog, check this for a hazard. Here the water is heated at the shower head. It has 110 volts attached to it by the wires and the joints are just wrapped with insulation tape. It can't keep up with demand if you turn it on too much so if you want a hot shower you can't have much water. Still, a cold shower here would freeze you!



And this is the light bulb in my room.




¡Enviado a ti de Xela!

Location:Xela

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are having a shower in rubber boots and electrically insulated gloves! Great blog Lawry, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete